Thursday, February 17, 2011

Week 6 in New York: Thrifty Socialite

I'd like to say for the record, that I promise next week's photo won't be a tight, over-exposed, "stuff" shot! Clearly, I like these types of shots, perhaps too much. I'll switch it up. PROMISE.

I decided on Saturday afternoon, that it had been far too long since I'd been inside a thrift shop. There was a time that I couldn't make it a full week without stopping into any given shop, the thirst of the hunt too intense to be sated. Recently though, I've become jaded by Westchester thrifts - their ridiculously overpriced used goods, the lame selection that is most likely going to be picked over by the ever growing populace of those hipster folk. And, in truth, I've too, probably just become lazy. So, I decided to make the journey to my local Salvo - all of 1 mile away.

It was like a big warm (if slightly moth-ball smelling) welcome home hug. This particular Salvo has been a big letdown in the past, especially considering the shear magnitude of this place. The first floor is full of your random odds and ends, the second floor is entirely dedicated to women's clothing and the third floor is a mix of men's and children's. That's right. A three level Salvation Army. You'd think this would be fortune and glory personified - but the ratio of awesome to tragic in this place is 1:150. However, I felt like today was the day, and I ended up being at least 80% content by the time I left two hours later. I not only picked up this amazing brand new Zara dress for $4 (yellow tags 50% off!), but I also came out with a cute plaid tunic and business dress & blazer combo. Not my usual bag, but they definitely suited my current needs. Not much in the way of functional vintage on this day - so I'll have to try again in a few weeks.

Armed with this amazing steal of a dress and feeling good about getting out and about, when my girlfriend called in the evening and asked me if I wanted to grab a drink, I was only too excited to oblige. What could have easily been a jeans & tee night out, became a 'let's dress up like real girls!' outing. I would never ACTUALLY describe myself as a socialite - but it's great little finds like this one that make me want to get out there and wear my thrifty threads loud and proud.

Cheers,
Breezer M.

p.s. bonus!

2 comments: