Friday, February 18, 2011

Week 6 in Seattle: Poison

Last year I had the opportunity to photograph so many musicians. It's a pretty cool gig. Being from New York I was not really that aware of west coast bands. And actually, I was pretty out of the cool music loop all together. I grew up listening to mom's music- Karen Carpenter, Anne Murray, James Taylor, etc. You get the idea.

One year for Christmas my grandmother got me a Phish CD. I thought I was the coolest kid ever. Turns out I was the last human on earth to get "Billy Breathes" as a gift. That Christmas my sister was pissed at me. *I* got the Phish CD and she didn't. I never really liked her taste in music but I did like Phish!!

In 2001 I started dating James. He introduced me to so much: Stereolab, Steely Dan, MMW, Nickle Creek (note: NOT NICKLEBACK)... Within a year of dating I got to meet his brother's girlfriend (now wife) Liz. Liz, let me tell you, is the shit. She was really the person who influenced me the most in this area of my life: Old 97's, Liz Phair, Belle and Sebastian, Wilco, Billy Bragg... See where I'm going? This girl was my hero.

I'll get to the point here. I don't remember anyone introducing me to early 90's R+B. I guess it just kind of happened? This week I got to photograph... drum roll please.... Bel Biv DeVoe. HOLY HELL. I love these guys!! And to top it off, the other artists there (that you would know) were Jon B, Al B Sure!, and SWV. What a rockin' show!!!! I mean seriously- who wouldn't like hearing BBD's song "Poision" last 15 minutes with an awesome DANCE OFF!?!? My life sure can be pretty darn fantastic.

Cheers!
Jill Rachel

[For a full review with photos from that concert, visit http://backbeatseattle.com/wordpress/?p=43722]

No comments:

Post a Comment