Thursday, February 10, 2011

Week 5 in New York: I Say Bagel; You Say Bagel

This is a two part story - one half food, one half linguistics. It's hard to say which comes first, or which is more important - but the end result is that these are two things that help to define me as a person.

My love affair with bagels started so long ago now that I can barely remember life before them. It's like they've always been there - soft on the inside, crispy on the outside, warm and delightful - taunting me from both near and far, seemingly calling out to me saying "Eat me, Brianna, I'm delicious." So I do. And often. I've had good bagels, amazing bagels, mediocre bagels and bad bagels. It's not that I blame the bad bagels, though. I blame their makers - and their unfortunate lack of the proper setting, because I think we all know, there are no bagels in the world...like those in New York City. I'm sorry, but it's just fact.

When I first moved to Westchester, Carlo introduced me to the tiny hole in the wall known only as the Wykagyl Bagel Shop. This place...really doesn't even have a name. It doesn't need one. It's so incredible, that Westchester-ites know it, or have heard tell of it no matter where they live, where they've come from, or how long they've been here. It's legendary.

As often as I can possibly get there, I go. The pumpernickel has become my standard. With a giant slab of cream cheese. And though this place doesn't toast - the bagels are always fresh, warm, and crispy, making it a nearly magical - definitely spiritual - experience, and wonder to behold.

This all being said, it's not without tribulation that this miracle of bageldom is enjoyed, which brings us to part two. Linguistics. I know up until now you've all been reading about bagels and saying 'bay-guls' in your head. Your vowel here is a close-mid front unrounded vowel that borders on diphthong where as my vowel is a near-open front unrounded vowel. Try it and see what you come up with. In fact...try it while eating a bagel. Just for me.

I bring this up because I'm probably the only person EVER to say this 'incorrectly'. I've tried to change, to no avail - and trust me there are no shortage of people in my life that think it's hilarious (and possibly annoying) that I can't say this the way they can. So, while I will continue to enjoy this absolutely unparalleled carbo-creation...I'll do so at the mercy of those around me...and their giggles.

Cheers,
Breezer M.

4 comments:

  1. But not toasted?? You had me sold till then.... picture makes them look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jen!

    Mom, trust me, these bagels need no toasting. mmmm. i'll take you there next weekend!

    ReplyDelete